After the structure of the forces, starting a new life on civvy street can be a daunting prospect for many service personnel.
Kickstarting a new career is a huge part of making a smooth transition and service leavers have usually acquired many transferable skills during their time in the army that should make this an easier task.
Depending on the field, training and specific qualifications are required – as part of resettlement, ex-military may be entitled to financial support from the MOD to train in a new career.
What Opportunities does the Building Services Engineering Sector offer to Ex-service Personnel?
The building services engineering sector has been expanding and modernising in recent years and there is real demand for qualified gas engineers, electrical installers and plumbing and heating engineers.
Many companies are struggling to find engineers with the right skills, enabling those who are professionally qualified and experienced to pick and choose.
It’s also an exciting time for the sector as we move towards a more sustainable future.
New targets to provide homes for our growing population, a boom in electrical vehicles and their associated charging points, government commitments to lower emissions and rapid technological developments are opening up new doors for building services engineers.
Download our free guide Future-Proof Installer for more information about future opportunities in the building services engineering sector.
What Transferable Skills do Military Personnel have that suit a Career in Building Services?
Candidates with military experience have many existing skills which lend themselves well to the building services engineering sector:
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem solving and decision making
- Strong teamwork but also able to work independently
- Leadership skills
- Project management skills
- Specific practical experience
What Funding is Available?
The MOD’s Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) promotes lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces.
Logic4training is an approved ELC Learning Provider.
The scheme provides financial support in the form a single up-front payment in each of a maximum of three separate financial years.
Each instalment can be up to £1,000 for those with at least 6 years’ eligible service, or up to £2,000 after 8 years of eligible service.
ELC funding is only available for pursuit of higher-level learning, for example, courses that result in a nationally recognised qualification at Level three or above on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) through an approved learning provider.
Which Qualifications does Logic4training offer under the Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) Scheme?
Logic4training offers the following electrical, gas and renewables training to service personnel eligible for Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme funding:
- City & Guilds 2382-18 Level 3 Award in Requirements for Electrical Installations (BS7671:2018)
- Electric Vehicle Charge Point Installation Course
- In Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment (PAT Testing)
- LCL Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations
- LCL Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection, Testing, Condition Reporting and Certification of Electrical Installations
- Logic Certification Domestic Electrical Installer Training Course – 5 days
- LCL Level 3 Award in Auditing of Gas Work
- LCL Level 3 Award in Energy Efficiency for Gas fired and Oil fired domestic heating and Hot water systems
- LCL Level 3 Award in F-Gas: Install, Service, Maintain, Recovery, Decommission and Leakage Checking of Systems (Category I)
Why Train with Logic4training?
We are proud to be the UK’s leading building service training provider, delivering training and assessments from our modern, purpose-built centres in Northolt, Basildon and Luton.
We offer a relaxed, comfortable and professional training environment with a team of experienced trainers and assessors for support, and a sense of humour when times get tough!
Logic4training’s ELC number is 1766: http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/learning-provider/provider-details?providerid=1766