FREE course advice & bookings

0208 845 7222

lines open Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm

5.5 million people across the UK are still failing to get gas safety checks

 Sep, 14 - 2015   Gas

It’s Gas Safety Week (14th September – 20th September 2015) and Gas Safe Register have revealed that 5.5 million people across the UK are still failing to get gas safety checks.


People in Britain are putting their lives at risk by not getting their gas appliances safety checked every year which, according to a new survey among gas engineers costs around £60.


There were 67,000 gas emergencies across the UK last year, that’s the equivalent of 186 every day. The Gas Safe Register also found dangerous gas appliances in one in six of the 142,000 homes it has inspected in the past five years. These dangers have led to 6 deaths and more than 3000 injuries in the last year alone.


Once again during this week the goal is awareness, and Gas Safe Register are keen to make people realise that when gas appliances are left unchecked, they can cause leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.


While engineers have a good understanding of these things, often the general public can become complacent and forget how dangerous gas can be (CO poisoning is a threat that is often overlooked by people.)


Common problems associated with faulty or badly maintained gas appliances:

  • Black staining on the walls around a gas appliance
  • A burst gas pipe
  • Excessive condensation
  • Fires
  • Explosions


For landlords, having a gas safety check is a legal requirement but for homeowners the onus is on them to get this done. To mark this year’s Gas Safety Week, Gas Safe Register is calling on  homeowners to protect themselves and their property by having a safety check.


“With the average cost of safety checking your gas boiler at just £60, it’s a small price to pay to keep you and your family safe and prevent damage to your home. While we’re seeing more people getting gas safety checks compared to last year, millions are still taking risks so we’re reminding people to make sure all their gas appliances are safety checked every year.”

Jonathan Samuel, chief executive of Gas Safe Register


The public can find out the number of unsafe gas appliances and gas incidents there have been in their local neighbourhood by visiting Gas Safe Register’s interactive gas map at People can also sign up to a free annual gas safety check reminder service.


Installers should provide customers with as much information as possible during Gas Safety Week. If you have your GSW packs, hand out flyers and give them the following top tips:


  • Get your gas appliances safety checked and serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer every year. If you live in rented accommodation your landlord has a legal obligation to get this done.
  • Recognise the warning signs that your gas appliances are not working properly including lazy yellow flames and black marks around the appliance.
  • Know the symptoms of CO poisoning, including headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.


For more information visit Gas Safe Register’s website

For Gas Training and re-assessment Click Here