As most installers are aware, Boiler Plus came into force on 6 April 2018.
The new rules encourage energy efficiency by mandating requirements for heating systems, while reducing energy costs and increasing the thermal comfort of the property.
Energy bills are a common source of concern for homeowners, yet they often lack knowledge of both regulations and products which could help them run their heating system more efficiently and save money.
Consumers, and their homes, are at the heart of Boiler Plus and there is a greater responsibility on Gas Safe installers to talk through the options with their customers.
To assist in this, the Heating and Hotwater Industry Council (HHIC) has launched a consumer guide to Boiler Plus, which you can download here and share with your customers.
What do consumers need to know?
There are three key requirements:
- All gas boilers installed into existing systems in England to have an ErP efficiency of at least 92%
- All gas and oil boilers require time and temperature controls to be installed at the same time, if not already present and working.
- Combination boiler replacements to include the provision of an additional energy efficiency measure to be installed at the same time
- Flue gas heat recovery
- Weather compensation
- Load compensation
- Smart controls with automation and optimisation functions
Its also worth reminding customers that the new legislation is written with them in mind, it is not simply more “red-tape”. The new standards will help them to save money and are flexible enough to allow choice in their application.
How can installers help their customers understand Boiler Plus?
- Swot up on Boiler Plus. You can find more information on the government’s website.
- Leave them with literature – whether it’s something you’ve created yourself or the HHIC Consumer Guide, make sure you provide something that your customer can refer back to. It might be a good idea to attach a leaflet to your quote so that your customer better understands the service you are providing.
- Show your Gas Safe ID card – make sure they know what it means and why it’s important.
For more information on any of Logic4training’s gas training courses and packages, click here.