Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Back to blog

Registering your Hot Water Systems & Safety qualification

featured image

The Hot Water Systems & Safety (HWSS) course is aimed at experienced heating and plumbing engineers and must be updated every five years, allowing successful candidates to self-certificate work covered by Approved Document G.

Registering Hot Water Systems & Safety (HWSS) qualification

Once you’ve achieved your qualification you need to register it, plus make sure the work you carry out in accordance with HWSS is certified.

Existing gas engineers: If you are a gas engineer you need to let the Gas Safe Register know you’ve achieved the qualification, you may have to supply them with the certificate.

Once you have installed a hot water cylinder as part of a boiler installation, then Gas Safe Register can notify Local Authority building control on your behalf – a legal requirement. Simply go to, log in and visit the ‘Notifications’ area.

Competent Persons Scheme members: Members of other CPS’; such as OFTEC, NIC, APHC, NAPIT or MCS; need to let their relevant body know. Those looking to join a CPS should apply under the installation of hot water cylinders, Part J & G.

About HWSS

Hot Water Systems & Safety replaces the unvented hot water course, including the 2010 revision to the G3 Building Regulations, for both vented and unvented systems.

For information on the changes to the G3 Building Regulations, click here.

Course content includes:

  • Installation and safety
  • Regulations, standards and guidelines
  • Theory of hot water expansion
  • Principles of hot water storage
  • Design considerations
  • Components and function
  • Safety controls, discharge and integration
  • Maintenance and servicing

Suitable candidates must be experienced in the installation of domestic hot and cold vented and unvented water systems and hold one Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) recognised competencies in a conventional fuel (such as gas or oil). For those operating in the plumbing sector, NVQ Level 2 or equivalent qualification/experience is required.

Need HWSS to do Solar Thermal Hot Water?

The RHI Training Support Voucher scheme is now providing funding for prerequisite courses.

For more information about the HWSS course, click here, or call 0345 845 7222

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign-up to our weekly email newsletter, full of helpful advice, the latest Logic4training special offers, reviews and news.