Building trades thriving – but where are the women? Building services trades offer women excellent pay and prospects – so why are so few joining up? This is a question being asked by AXA, whose recent research revealed building trades as the leading source of self-employment in the UK, with start-up trades businesses turning an early profit, earning more and going full-time quicker than other professionals.Back to Insights
Women in the tradesAccording to AXA customer data:
- 2% of those working in the trades are women
- Women account for just 1.8% of ‘white van’ drivers!
- Average take-home pay for a tradeswomen is £1,660, that £630 more than those working in the professional, retails and service sectors.
- 9 out of 10 rate their business a success
- 2 out of 3 confident their business will grow in 2017