Luton airport success is going from strength to strength, following its successful bid at the back end of 2015 to become one of 26 Enterprise Zone’s unveiled in the Chancellor’s Spending Review. It is now hoped that some 10,000 jobs will be created at the airport and surrounding areas.
The airport has also reported a record year in its 77 year history with some 12.3 million passengers using the airport last year – an impressive rise of 16.9 per cent, with passenger numbers for December alone up by 18.9 per cent! In addition, four new airlines started flying from the site with 20 new routes launched.
Business is booming at Luton Airport thanks to a £110 million redevelopment programme designed to boost capacity by 50 per cent. The site, which spans some 395 acres, will be made up of three key areas: Stirling Park, Century Park and Airport Business Park and is sure to attract businesses from far and wide given that an Enterprise Zone offers simplified planning rules, funding for superfast broadband and up to 100 per cent business rate discounts!
A spokesperson for Transformation and Regeneration added: “With the planned expansion and record passenger numbers, maximising opportunities through London Luton Airport is vital for the future success of the town. Confirmation of the Luton Airport Enterprise Zone, which will create thousands of jobs for local people, is a vital step for us in delivering on some of the investment framework ambitions, including job creation and becoming an innovation leader in technology and aviation.”
In all, the transformation will see major upgrades, including:
- A complete redesign of the terminal to create quick, efficient, friendly and convenient passenger experience
- Doubling of the existing retail space, with shopping and dining options and a new executive lounge
- A new multi-storey car park with 1,700 spaces
- The addition of Oyster card services through to the terminal building
- Transport access has already been improved through a major upgrade to junction 10a of the M1 and the introduction of overnight trains between St Pancras International and Luton Airport Parkway.
Finger on the pulse!
If you’re working in the trades and looking to reap the benefits of Luton Airport’s successes, make sure you’ve got the write skills and qualifications. We’re in Luton already – and have been for quite some time! We have one of the most up-to-date training and assessment centres in the building services industry with all your training needs covered for the following sectors: gas, plumbing, electric, renewables, oil and refrigeration.