IET have confirmed that the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations BS 7671 is due to be published in 2018.
Prior to publication, IET are asking the public to have their say on things.
The Draft for public comment is now available to read and comment on from now until the 23rd August 2017.
All comments will be considered by JPEL/64 (the technical committee behind BS 7671).
BS 7671:2018 Requirements for Electrical Installations is due to be issued on the 1st July 2018 and is intended to come into effect on the 1st January 2019.
Unlike the previous amendments to 17th edition, the new 18th edition has some pretty extensive changes.
According to IET “Entire chapters have been revised or re-drafted and an entirely new part (Part 8) on energy efficiency has been included in the DPC.”
Click here to view the DPC (you will need to login or register to BSI)
Overview of changes
We’ve bullet pointed the changes made in the 18th edition but to find out what they are you will have to view the DPC online.
- Part 1 Scope, object and fundamental principles Regulation 133.1.3 (Selection of equipment) has been modified and now requires a statement on the Electrical Installation Certificate
- Part 2 Definitions Definitions have been expanded and modified.
- Chapter 41 Protection against electric shock 9 changes/amendments made
- Chapter 42 Protection against thermal effects 2 changes made
- Chapter 44, Protection against voltage disturbances and electromagnetic disturbances 4 changes made
- Chapter 46 Devices for isolation and switching New chapter introduced
- Chapter 52, Selection and erection of wiring systems 4 regulation changes
- Chapter 53, Protection, isolation, switching, control and monitoring
- Section 534 Devices for protection against overvoltage
- Chapter 54 Earthing arrangements and protective conductors New regulations and changes made
- Chapter 55 Other equipment
- Part 6 Inspection testing Part 6 has been completely restructured
- Section 704 Construction and demolition site installations
- Section 708 Electrical installations in caravan/camping parks and similar locations
- Section 710 Medical locations
- Section 715 Extra-low voltage lighting installations
- Section 721 Electrical installations in caravans and motor caravans
- Section 722 Electric vehicle charging installations
- Section 730 Onshore units of electrical shore connections for inland navigation vessels
- Section 753 Floor and ceiling heating systems
- Part 8 Energy efficiency This is a completely new part.
Courses from Logic4training
The 18th edition will be in place from the 1st January 2019 and everyone who works in the electrical sector will be expected to update to the new edition promptly. Many will want to do this as soon as possible. The new book is published on 1st July 2019, and courses and exams will be available from that date.
Logic4training will be offering a full 18th Edition Wiring Regulation Course and a top up option to upgrade from 17th Edition to 18th Edition.
18th Edition training course (Full – 3 days) – Learn More
18th Edition Wiring Regulation (Upgrade – 1 day) – Learn More
UK standards for electrician training do not change that regularly; when they do, it’s a major event and all training provision must be updated.
The final inclusions in the 18th edition won’t be known for certain until July but courses are already under development so that they can be finalised in good time for the final publication next year.
If you would like to receive our weekly updates, subscribe to our email newsletter.