Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Back to blog

Cooking Appliance CKR1 Training & Assessment

July 10, 2012 featured image

Apart from the domestic core assessment, CCN1, and the central heating and hot water assessments, CENWAT (previously CEN1), Cooking Appliance training and assessment, CKR1, remains the most common domestic assessment undertaken by gas engineers with circa 110,000 valid ACS certificates currently held.

Types of appliance

CKR1 covers gas work on all gas cooking appliances, including; free-standing and ‘slide in’ cookers, ‘built in’ hotplates, ‘built in/under’ ovens and grill units, covering; installation, commissioning, exchanging, disconnecting, servicing, attending to breakdowns and repair.

CKR1 in itself does not cover range-type cookers, such as AGAs, due to their specialist nature; this appliance is covered by CKHB1. However, when CKR1 is held with CENWAT and CPA1, the Gas Safe Register will recognise you as competent to work on ranges.

It should be noted that CKR1 does not assess any electrical work. Where a built in oven or hob requires connecting to the electrical installation, by means of a switched spur, this must be carried out by competent electrician and is notifiable to the Local Building Control Office.


Like other ACS appliance assessments the type of fuel and dwelling the cooking appliance is located determines what ACS core assessment is required.

If the appliance is installed within a domestic dwelling and is connected to a Natural Gas supply, the engineer must hold a valid CCN1 certificate (or equivalent). CCN1 may also be appropriate where the appliance is installed in a commercial property, depending on the situation. CKR1 can be completed by a commercial gas engineer holding a commercial core, where a cooking appliance is located in a commercial environment e.g. a domestic gas cooker fitted in a pub kitchen. In this case, the catering engineer holding CCCN1 could undertake CKR1 without CCN1.

Note; Gas Safe Register will not issue a Licence card indicating the catering engineer’s competence in domestic cookers, without CCN1.

Where the appliance is located within a dwelling and connected to a LPG supply, CCLP1 (PD) is the appropriate core assessment. Likewise, if the appliance is located in a Residential Park Home or Leisure Accommodation Vehicle or on a Boat, Yacht or other Vessel CCLP1 (RPH), (LAV) or (B) applies.

Note; only cooking appliances specifically designed for use in a marine environment should be installed on Boats.

Taking the assessment

As with all ACS assessments, only matters of gas safety relevant to the appliances type will be assessed.

Where an engineer is undertaking CKR1 for the first time (initial assessment) a typical assessment will require engineers to demonstrate that they can safely carry out the installation and commissioning of a freestanding gas cooker in accordance with the manufactures instructions and British Standards, plus explain its safe operation.  In addition to installation, the assessment may require the engineer to carry out the service of a cooking appliance, identify any installation and gas control which are defects.

The engineer will be required to successfully answer a number of knowledge questions relating to cooking appliance installation and its safe operation.

Where CKR1 is being renewed, the installation element of the assessment, and a number of knowledge questions, are omitted.

CKR1 can be taken as stand alone training and assessment, or as part of the CCN1 gas safety training and appliances package.

Newsletter Sign Up

For industry news, special offers and the latest from our centres, sign up to our mailing list

    Sign me up for the newsletter!