FREE course advice & bookings

0208 845 7222

lines open Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm
enquiries@logic4training.co.uk

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Know The Symptoms



 Sep, 18 - 2017   Safety

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas which can cause very serious long term health problems like brain damage and in some cases death.

This type of poisoning is often caused by unsafe gas appliances which have been incorrectly fitters, badly repaired or poorly maintained.

Therefore it’s important you’re aware of the symptoms mentioned below and know what to do next.
 

Symptoms

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness 
  • Nausea 
  • Breathlessness 
  • Collapse 
  • Loss of consciousness

 

What To Do

Even the breathing in the smallest amounts of gas can cause CO poisoning so if you have the symptoms above it is important you do the following;

  • Get fresh air immediately.
  • Turn off gas appliances, open doors/windows and leave the house.
  • See your doctor or go to the hospital.
  • Call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999 if you are in immediate danger.
  • Ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues.

 

Preventing CO Poisoning 

Since you can’t taste, see or smell carbon monoxide there is only so much you can do to prevent CO poisoning.

That said, if you notice the following there is a chance you have carbon monoxide present;

  • Gas hob flames are a yellow/orange colour rather than being blue.
  • Dark staining on/around appliances.
  • Pilot light that frequently blows out.
  • Increased condensation inside windows.

However, the most effective way to detect when carbon monoxide is present is to have a CO alarm installed. For more information on this check out our blog post on Safe Carbon Monoxide Alarms.
 
If you have any questions about this give Gas Safe Register a call on 0800 408 5500