Did you know more household fires take place on Christmas day than any other day of the year. This makes Christmas the most dangerous time of the year when it comes to gas safety!
17% of boilers, fires and cookers investigated in December over the last five years have been found to be unsafe.
19% of households haven’t had gas appliances legally checked this year, meaning there’s potentially 12 million people that could be living with dangerous appliances.
5% of British adults put gas appliance safety checks on their December to do list in the run up to Christmas.
Don’t panic, below are some useful tips to help keep everyone safe this festive year!
Fire Prevention Tips
In order to keep yourself and loved ones gas safe this Christmas follow these five Gas Safe Register’s top tips:
- Only employ a legal Gas Safe registered engineer. You can find a registered engineer in your area by calling 0800 408 5500 or by visiting www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk
- Always ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe ID card. Check the back of the card, which will state which gas appliances they are qualified to work on.
- Sign up for a reminder service to make sure your gas appliances are checked annually: www.staygassafe.co.uk
- Speak to your energy supplier to see if they can provide a free gas safety check.
- If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
Check out Gas Safe Register infographic;