Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Back to blog

Newquay family Lucky to escape gas poisoning

featured image

A young family in Newquay were fortunate to escape with their lives after a landlord failed to have their gas boiler serviced and checked.

The family moved into their new home in Polwhele Road, Newquay, in July 2013 but were not supplied with a copy of a gas safety record by their landlords, Andrew and Deborah Hopkinson.

The tenants asked about a safety inspection around a year later but none was carried out.

In June 2014, the family noticed the smell of gas and called in Wales and West Utilities, which isolated the boiler. Later, an inspection of the boiler was carried out by a gas safe registered engineer who issued it with an “Immediately Dangerous” notice.


Taken from Installeronline:

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was alerted and, following an investigation, prosecuted Mr and Mrs Hopkinson at Truro Magistrates’ Court today (12 February).

The HSE investigation found six instances of the landlords’ gas safety checks not taking place within the legally required 12 month period, with the dates ranging between five days and 15 months overdue.

The gas boiler, which was at least 11 years old, was last serviced on 19 December 2012. The owner’s manual recommends annual servicing of the boiler. It had not been serviced for 18 months when it was isolated for safety purposes and found to be producing high levels of carbon monoxide.

Andrew and Deborah Hopkinson, of Chynowen Lane, Cubert, each pleaded guilty to two breaches of gas safety regulations. Mr Hopkinson was fined a total of £7,000 and ordered to pay £209 costs. Mrs Hopkinson was also fined £7,000 with £209 costs.

HSE Inspector Simon Jones, speaking after the hearing, said:

“It was fortunate that this incident did not lead to death or injury for the tenant or her young family.

“Landlords must ensure annual safety checks are carried out on gas appliances at their properties and ensure they are serviced and maintained in good working order.”


It is important for tenants to always ask their landlord for a gas safety certificate. If the the landlord or letting agent fail to do so they are breaking the law.

Installers and engineers should remind their customers when a boiler or gas appliance service is due, you may be saving lives by doing so.

Tenants can also sign up to a free reminder service –

Tenants whose landlords fail to carry out annual gas safety checks should contact HSE – Click Here

For our range of gas courses Click Here

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign-up to our weekly email newsletter, full of helpful advice, the latest Logic4training special offers, reviews and news.