The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) has announced details of Amendment 2 to the 18th Edition of the IET Wiring Regulations.
BS 7671:2018+A2:2022 will be published on 28th March 2022 – the previous version (BS 7671:2018+A1:2020) will be withdrawn 6 months later.
What changes does Amendment 2 make?
The new amendment introduces a new requirement for Arc Fault Detection Devices (AFDDs), updated requirements for the fire safety design for buildings and a new chapter on Prosumer’s Low Voltage Electrical Installations.
According to the IET press release dated 24 January 2022:
“Significant changes include:
- a new requirement for Arc Fault Detection Devices (AFDDs) in some AC final circuits for installations in some types of higher risk residential buildings;
- the requirement for the fire safety design of buildings to be documented where specific conditions of external influence exist, such as protected escape routes and locations with risk of fire;
- method for determining the requirement to provide overvoltage protection;
- changes to identification, labels and notices, such as for consumer units, affecting how safety information is provided to the user of the electrical installation;
- a chapter on Prosumer’s Low Voltage Electrical Installations, in a new part, Part 8.”
Full technical details will be available when the amendment is published.
Why have these changes been made?
The IET Wiring Regulations have been updated to incorporate technological innovation in this fast-paced sector and ensure regulations reflect the latest safety procedures.
The electrification of two of our most carbon intensive sectors – heating and transport – will mean a much greater demand for renewable energy over the next three decades and beyond. The new amendment highlights new technologies such as electrical energy storage systems and the management of renewable energy to boost resilience.
The previous amendment 1, which was published in 2020, incorporated developments in EV charging technology which will now be written into the main body of the regulations.
Who needs to know?
The 18th Edition Wiring Regulations is an essential publication for electricians and all professionals in the electrotechnical and engineering services sector.
To remain safe and compliant, make sure you become familiar with the updated regulations as soon as possible.
Where can I get a copy of the new 18th Edition?
Electricians can pre-order their copy of the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations Amendment 2 (BS 7671:2018+A2:2022) here.
Do you need 18th Edition training?
Logic4training offers the City & Guilds 18th Edition Wiring Regulations (2382-18) training course, designed for electricians, as well as other buildings services engineers (gas installers, kitchen/bathroom fitters, plumbers and builders).
All our electrical training courses will be updated accordingly to reflect the new Amendment 2.