Skip to Navigation Skip to Content
Back to blog

How to register with a Competent Person Scheme

featured image

So you have decided to train as a domestic electrician. You may have done a fair bit of research and come across the term “Competent Person Scheme”. Perhaps you’ve already heard of one of the many CPS’s out there but are not entirely clear on what these organisations are for.

Understanding the term

Competent Persons Schemes (CPS) were introduced by the Government to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector.

Once you have joined a CPS you can self-certify certain types of building work if you work as an installer (Domestic electrician, Gas etc).

This means you don’t have to get local council or private building inspector to check your work and can charge your customers lower prices as there are no building control fees.

Scheme operators and installers must follow certain rules to comply with building regulations. You can find out how these schemes are authorised and the rules members must follow – Here.

Registering as a Domestic Electrician


After successful completion of your New Entrant Domestic Electrical Installer course and assessments with Logic4training, and a period of work to gain experience you can then contact your chosen Competent Person Scheme (STROMA, NAPIT or NICEIC etc) to start your registration process (£300 – £500 +vat for a new engineer).

Whoever you choose will then book in an initial inspection to see both your paperwork and jobs. They will want to see 2 new circuits you have installed and relevant test certificates. You will have to renew your membership annually.

If you would like to learn more about earning the qualifications to become a Domestic Electrician – Click Here

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign-up to our weekly email newsletter, full of helpful advice, the latest Logic4training special offers, reviews and news.