Whether you’re a trades professional with direct experience in the gas or plumbing sector or related industries, or you’re a complete newcomer, Logic4training can help you become a domestic gas engineer.
On this page, you will find information on how to become a registered gas engineer, the training courses involved as well as what Logic4training can do to fast track your career in plumbing and heating.
You can book a slot on one of our free introductory sessions and download the Logic4training guide to careers in gas.
Scroll down to read more.
Need help finding the right course?
Which of these options best describes you?
Domestic Gas Heating Installer – Experienced Trades, MLP Package
This course takes place over four weeks and is designed for candidates with at least two years’ experience in a related trade (plumber, kitchen fitter or similar). This programme solely focuses on Core Gas Safety ACS training and assessment.
Domestic Gas Heating Installer – New Entrants Package
This course takes place over seven weeks and covers all the required areas to becoming a Domestic Gas Heating Installer. The New Entrants Route is designed for candidates with no previous experience. It includes a 4 week crash course on core plumbing skills. DGHI New Entrants will receive industry recognised certificates for each element of their training, culminating in Core Gas Safety ACS assessment.
Gas engineers install, service, maintain and repair gas appliances.
They may specialise in domestic or commercial gas, with many different gas appliances and property types included within each specialism.
Typical duties may include:
- Installing or repairing appliances to deliver gas
- Repairing gas appliances and heating systems.
- Maintaining or replacing faulty systems.
- Cutting, bending & joining pipes and fittings.
- Providing cost estimates to customers, and talking through additional cover, insurance options & energy saving options.
- Carrying out estimates, checking for gas leaks & ensuring all repairs/installations are up to code.
- Ensuring all safety requirements are met accordingly.
To become a fully qualified* registered gas engineer you must:
- Undertake ACS gas training & Assessment. ACS stands for Accredited Certification Scheme and is the industry recognised route for gas engineers becoming Gas Safe Registered. Learn more.
- Complete an on-site portfolio of gas work.
- Obtain a CCN1 qualification (core gas safety).
- Register with Gas Safe Register
Whether a New Entrant or Experienced Trades’ person, at the end of your Domestic Gas Heating Installer programme you will need to complete ACS training and assessment; a pre-requisite of becoming Gas Safe Registered.
As part of this, trainees are required to build an on-site portfolio as well as 5 boiler installs, under the supervision of a Registered Gas Engineer – we can help with this aspect too.
On successful completion of the ACS assessment you will be ready to apply to join the Gas Safe Register.
To start on the first step to becoming a Domestic Gas Heating Installer, call our customer service team on 0208 845 7222
who will be able to advise and book you a slot on to the appropriate introductory session which are FREE of Charge.
*Core domestic gas safety qualifications with Boilers & Fires, additional appliances can be added later on. Commercial, Catering and LPG qualifications are also separate.
Commercial, Catering and LPG qualifications are also separate. Browse our full range of gas training courses here.
We run two different types of introductory session at our training centres.
- For those with little to no experience the session involves a tour of one of our centre and a presentation about the course. You will meet our friendly staff and have any questions you might have answered.
- For those with some experience in a relevant trade, there is more of an induction session. Logic4training’s staff will assess your experience and competencies so you choose the right path to becoming a gas safe engineer.
Although this is often described as an “open day” by booking a slot you are taking up a limited space in our centre and we would ask that you please make every effort to attend the session.
“Brilliant training centre and teachers! Would highly recommend all of it!” Pete Addison – Google
“Very professional approach with the current government instructions and rules for covid 19 measure. And a big thank you to David and Peter both are amazing thank you guys you are the best. Great people good place highly recommend.” Nick Spasov – Google
“Well organised and structured training, nothing seemed too much effort for Mark, Ray or Jayne – would recommend the APL route into gas to anyone considering it!” Craig Longshaw – Facebook
“I definitely highly recommended Logic4training at Northolt to everyone who wants to start new career, also I want to say thanks to all the team at the center. I’ll definitely be back for more courses.” Fadi Riachi – Facebook
Logic4training has created an “Ultimate Guide” to careers in gas which you can download here