Back to Insights
What are second generation smart meters & when are they available?
- Second Generation Smart Meters (SMETS2) will be available in 2018
- They are designed to address the shortcomings of the first generation meters that have led to criticism and concerns in the press.
- New meters will be much more reliable and offer a wealth of features to make them a more attractive option to householders across the UK.
What’s the difference between the old SMET1 meters & the new SMETS2 meters?
- The new ones are more accurate - SMETS2 meters will be able to provide more accurate readings, bringing an end to the ludicrously high bills some customers have been charged in the past due to inaccurate readings.
- No more problems when customers switch suppliers - SMETS1 smart meters often stopped working when householders switched suppliers because the technologies the suppliers used were incompatible and data couldn’t be shared. Landis+Gyr, the UK’s largest smart meter manufacturer, says that the SMETS2 meters will be able to cope when households change suppliers and retain functionality post-switch.
- SMETS2 meters have better connectivity – households in areas where there is poor mobile phone reception will no long suffer the connectivity issues they had with the first generation meters.
- Lower energy bills – British Gas have said that customers save an average o £30 a year by using a smart meter. But that’s not all, Ofgem has suggested that energy companies will be able to offer better deals to smart meter customers who use energy outside peak hours. Pressure has been growing on energy suppliers to ditch standard tariffs, which are likely to be highly expensive and from next year.