The Gas Safe Register is the only official registration body for gas engineers and gas businesses covering the UK, Isle of Man and Guernsey. It operates on behalf of the Health and Safety Authority for each region and was set up in 2009, taking over the role from Corgi. By law, all gas businesses must be on the Gas Sage Register.Back to Insights
What does Gas Safe Register do?It has several functions and operates the official UK list of gas businesses and installers to ensure that only properly qualified engineers are licensed to legally work with gas appliances.
- Policing gas standards: The Gas Safe Register is not a membership association or trade body, so it does not presume to speak for the gas industry, but to police the standard of work carried out by its members and root out illegal installers.
- It is empowered to apply sanctions where breaches to the rules are identified and report such cases to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
- Engineers registered to the body are issued with a Gas Safe ID card, to prove they are properly qualified.
- Monitoring of gas work: It undertakes inspections of all business on the register and investigates gas safety complaints in order to uphold the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and, where applicable, specifications set out in Building Regulations.
- Informing the public on gas safety: Gas Safe Register runs consumer campaigns to raise awareness of gas safety issues with the general public. These are on issues such as the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) and the risks involved in using illegal engineers, i.e. those not on the Register.
- It also organises Gas Safety Week each autumn, launching new campaigns to engage the public in matters relating to gas safety.
How do I apply?In order to operate legally as a gas engineer, before you can register with Gas Safe Register, you must:
- Undertake an Accredited Certification Scheme (ACS) training & Assessment to obtain a CCN1 gas safety qualification, plus the appliances you will be working on.
- Complete an on-site portfolio of gas work.